Clarifying Shampoo: The Detox Your Locks Crave
Constant drying, styling and exposure to products, sunlight, hard water and pollutants truly take their toll on your hair. If your hair is feeling a bit worse for the wear, the right clarifying shampoo may be just what you need to infuse some new life and transform locks back to gorgeous and glowing. Luckily, Neuma’s got an undeniable clarifying winner in its portfolio that makes clarifying a breeze, creating a clean slate for the beautiful bouncy locks you crave. So, what’s the deal with clarifying shampoos, and why do you need one in your routine? Let’s take a deeper dive.
What Is Clarifying Shampoo?
A clarifying shampoo is a type of shampoo designed to provide a deep cleanse for your hair and remove build-up from hair products, oils and environmental pollutants. Regular shampoos are designed to remove the daily grime and excess oil, but they may not fully remove heavy product build-up, especially from styling products such as hair sprays, gels, mousses or even some types of conditioners, not to mention the build up from hard water minerals, chlorine and even some medications. Over time, this build-up can weigh down the hair, making it look dull and lifeless. It can also make hair unmanageable and difficult to style.
Traditionally, clarifying shampoos are recommended only once a week due to their powerful cleansing ingredients, which can be harsh, stripping or drying in some cases. Neuma, however, has formulated an extra gentle clarifying formula that is gentle enough to be used daily while effectively removing dulling residue that can drag hair down. Re Neu Shampoo uses a super-gentle sulfate-free surfactant blend to effectively cleanse while leaving hair soft, refreshed, and shiny.
Is A Clarifying Shampoo a Good Fit for Everyone?
While every head of hair is a bit different, in general, almost everyone can benefit from the right clarifying shampoo, though the frequency of use may vary by hair type and condition. You should highly consider incorporating a clarifying shampoo into your routine if you…
- Regularly use styling products. Clarifying shampoos are designed to effectively remove stubborn product build-up, excess oil and residue from the hair and scalp. If you regularly use styling products, such as gels, mousses, hairsprays, or dry shampoos, a clarifying shampoo can help to eliminate these accumulations, leaving your hair feeling clean and refreshed.
- Have hard water. If you live in an area with hard water, which contains high mineral content, you may notice that your hair feels dull or weighed down. Clarifying shampoos can help to remove mineral deposits and restore your hair's natural shine.
- Are a swimmer or frequent exerciser. If you spend a lot of time in chlorinated pools or engage in regular physical activities that cause heavy sweating, a clarifying shampoo can effectively remove chlorine, sweat and other impurities that can cling to and discolor your hair. This can help prevent the drying effects of chlorine and keep your hair healthy and vibrant.
- Frequently style or have color-treated hair. If you frequently style your hair or use heat styling tools, a clarifying shampoo can help remove product residues and prevent them from building up on your strands. Additionally, if you have color-treated hair, using a clarifying shampoo occasionally can help remove product build-up that may dull the vibrancy of your hair color.
- Are prone to oily, itchy or sensitive scalp. Clarifying shampoos can help alleviate scalp issues like dandruff, itchiness, or excess oil production. By removing impurities and excess oil, they can reduce the chances of scalp inflammation and promote a clean, nourished scalp. A healthy scalp is crucial for optimal hair growth. A clarifying shampoo also helps keep the hair follicle clear and free, creating a supportive foundation for hair growth.
It should be noted that if you have concerns about using a clarifying shampoo or any specific hair or scalp conditions, it's always best to consult with a professional hairstylist or dermatologist who can provide personalized advice based on your hair type and needs.
Not All Clarifying Shampoos are Created Equal
Many clarifying shampoos use sulfate-based surfactants to remove the build-up from hair. Sulfates, such as sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES), are powerful surfactants that create a rich lather and effectively remove dirt, oil, and product buildup from the hair and scalp. However, they can also strip away the natural oils that keep the hair and scalp moisturized. This can lead to dryness, especially for individuals with already dry or chemically-treated hair. The strong cleansing action of sulfates can also disrupt the moisture balance of the hair and scalp. While it's important to remove excess oil and residue, sulfates can remove too much moisture, leading to dryness, frizz, and a lack of shine. This is particularly true for individuals with naturally dry or curly hair, as their hair tends to be more prone to moisture loss. Neuma rises to the challenge and formulates all its shampoo with a gentle sulfate-free blend (including free of SLS, SLES, ALS and ALES) derived from coconut, which effectively cleanses without the harsh side effects of a sulfate-based cleanser.
Tell Me More About Re Neu Shampoo & Conditioner
In addition to being sulfate-free, Re Neu Shampoo is infused with Sunflower Seed Oil, which helps protect color from fading as well as adding a lustrous shine and protecting your hair from sun damage. Peppermint Oil is added to enhance body and volume, and this oil also helps nourish hair and scalp. Lavender Oil is another component, soothing and smoothing the hair while enriching your scalp.
Additionally, not only are the Re Neu products free from sulfate surfactants but they are also cruelty-free. Our vegan formulas contain no toxic chemicals, synthetic fragrances, artificial dyes or colorants so you can feel good about the products you put on your hair and body. Neuma products also are gluten-free and soy-free, and we are committed to eco-friendly production and packaging. If you’ve been searching for a detox shampoo that is also a cruelty-free shampoo and a vegan shampoo, our products are a perfect match.
How To Use Re Neu Shampoo
With a clarifying shampoo like Re Neu, you will want to wet the hair, add product to your hands and rub them together to start the lathering process. Next, apply to hair and work into a rich lather. We recommend leaving on hair for about a minute before rinsing. If it’s been a while since you’ve used a clarifying shampoo, it can be smart to repeat the process a second time. Be sure to give that scalp some special T.L.C. We recommend you be intentional with using clarifying shampoo as part of your scalp care routine to promote a healthy scalp and overall hair health.
Always follow your clarifying shampoo with a good conditioner. After thoroughly rinsing your hair, apply Re Neu Conditioner from roots to ends. Leave it on for up to one minute and then rinse thoroughly. Follow with a treatment of your choice if you wish, like Neu Moisture Masque, should you need additional nourishment.
One of the reasons Re Neu continues to be a best-selling formula in our portfolio is it is suitable for all hair types and scalp types, so whether you have fine hair, thick hair, curly hair, dry hair or oily hair, Re Neu Shampoo and Re Neu Conditioner can help remove build-up and make your hair feel and look amazing.
Find Your Perfect Match
While the Re Neu product line is recommended for all hair types for your non-clarifying days, Neuma offers several other great options for daily use depending on your hair needs. For example, if you are searching for a moisturizing shampoo or an Argan Oil shampoo, our Neu Moisture Shampoo is a perfect fit delivering nourishment and hydration through its key ingredients, including Argan Oil and Shea Butter. Finish your look with Neu Moisture Argan Treatment Oil. This lightweight treatment with pure argan oil nourishes and defrizzes while restoring luster and shine to your hair.
The Re Neu and Neu Moisture products are just the tip of the iceberg. At Neuma, we offer an amazing assortment of products to help you maintain and improve the quality of your hair and scalp. Find out which products make your perfect clean routine by popping over to our Hair Quiz. Answer a few quick questions, and we’ll provide a personalized regimen to deliver the hair of your dreams. Be sure to sign up for our emails, as well, to enjoy up-to-the-minute info about our sales and special events.